Sunday, April 13, 2008

Accomplishments, Part II, in which I take a Big Girl Pill

I think I mentioned a few posts back that I went to two events, all by myself. This is part of me taking risks and being more adventurous. It's all good preparation for when I move to the new job, next fall. (Have I mentioned the new job? I think I started a post, but didn't finish...I'll get on that. Soon.)

So, things what I have done all by myself:
1. Attended a small fundraiser for a New Orleans womens clinic, in a little independent bookstore, because it was a good cause and I was familiar with one of the poets. Stayed long enough to enjoy a delicious decaf latte and listen to two women perform several songs, and then for the poet, who read from work in progress. While this was all enjoyable, the place was packed, I was perched on a stool with no back support, and I didn't know a soul. So, I had a nice time, but I left after an hour and a half.

2. The next night went to a Jamie Anderson concert, part of the local Folkus series. I saw Jamie years and years and years ago (maybe 1992 and 1993?) in the Northwest, and remembered that she's very funny and has a wonderful voice. And since I knew some of the songs pretty well, I'm thinking the ex and I must have owned a CD. My favorite song: "Dark Chocolate," and you can catch a taste of it on her CDBaby page.

3. Last night I went to the final night of the Reel Queer film festival, put on by hardworking lgbt grad students. Two fabulous (and one pretty good) short films, followed by the latest from the director of But I'm A Cheerleader. I soooooo want the soundtrack! This one is titled The Itty Bitty Titty Committee, and is funny and sweet and has some sexy moments. And did I mention I want that soundtrack?

No comments: