Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Bad Drivers, No Doughnut

They say when you've been with someone a long time, you begin to assimilate some of her personality traits. Which is to say, I seem to be turning into Ms J, at least in terms of impatient driving. She's an excellent driver--better than me, certainly--but she likes to kvetch about other people's driving behavior, whereas I've always been rather too forgiving of others. It's a peacemaking thing, from my childhood, no doubt.

But no more. I'm mad, and I'm not going to take it anymore! I, along with three or four other drivers, had to back up a good block or two because some bleeping driver ran a red light leading into a one-lane section of road. See, ongoing construction has forced workers to block one lane of a section of road, creating a one-lane road with a traffic signal at each end. The light turns green, you can proceed; the light turns red, you wait. The light turned green, and off I went, when suddenly there was a car headed straight for me. Does she stop? Not until she's nose to nose with me. Does she back up? No. Does she have any clue what she's done? No. In fact, this standoff took so long that the light at her end turned green, and three more cars showed up behind her, oblivious and confused.

So, the cars behind me were gracious and backed up. The offending driver is probably complaining to someone right now about how rude we were.

In the meantime, my ice cream was beginnning to melt. And *that* is the very worst part.

1 comment:

aerobil said...

When I was a kid, my mom never bought ice cream at the store for fear it would melt in the car on the way home. Hence, this is still one of my fears about buying ice cream on a really hot day. Lord.