Wednesday, July 27, 2005

"This I Believe"

So, I'm thinking of using these short essays from NPR's "This I Believe" series for my writing classes this fall. Has anyone else heard or read about these? Any thoughts?

Here's an excerpt from a piece by one of my favorite writers, Kay Redfield Jameson, author of An Unquiet Mind, among other things:
"I believe that curiosity, wonder and passion are defining qualities of imaginative minds and great teachers; that restlessness and discontent are vital things; and that intense experience and suffering instruct us in ways that less intense emotions can never do. I believe, in short, that we are equally beholden to heart and mind, and that those who have particularly passionate temperaments and questioning minds leave the world a different place for their having been there."

Curiosity, wonder, and passion. What wonderful qualities.

No comments: