Friday, April 13, 2007

Dreaming

So, I've been told that my dreams (both sleeping and awake) are really freaky and should be recorded. So, here's a glimpse into my spooky brain:

The other night, I was dozing off, and images began to float about--that liminal space between wakefulness and sleep that fills with odd little movies. I see someone--I'm not sure who--sitting on a park bench, in profile, perhaps 10 or 20 feet away. Then, a slightly smaller, darker figure on the other side of that someone leans forward and turns to look right at me. Direct eye contact. The figure seems human yet demonic, and knows far too much about me, based on that stare.

Abrupty, I am awake. And terrified.

I am particularly prone to this sort of imagining--the darkness within. It's why I can't read Stephen King or Dean Koontz, or even any nuevo-gothic vampire novels. Enjoyment of such fiction depends on always recognizing that it is, in fact, fiction: this is not real, therefore I can enjoy the ride. Like a roller coaster--we know that the car will stay on the track, so we can thrill with the jolting turns.

But I don't know that it's fiction. Part of me honestly believes these things are possible. That is, demons may well exist. Even if it's just a recognition of the demonic side of humanity, the darkness that permits us to do evil. But what if? What if some folks really can read others' thoughts? Control others' behavior?

The park bench "dream" reminds me the Chris Carter series Millennium.

No comments: