Thursday, April 05, 2007

Complaining

Okay, so apparently (sez Therapist) I don't complain enough. That is, I don't express my frustrations. I don't trouble talk.

See, that's called "whining" according to the voices in my head. (No, not those kind; the itty-bitty-shitty committee.) The Scandinavian-American in me says, "It could be worse." "Count your blessings." "Why, when I was a kid, we _________________." (Apparently, the Scandinavian-American in me is 70something and crotchety. Folks have observed in the past that I had an "old soul.")

So, here are some things that are really frustrating me of late:
1. How come I seem to combine the worst of the romantic and the pragmatist? I'm totally sucked into romance, yet unable to fully enjoy it, because there's a voice back there saying, "Well, now, you know..."
2. Why is it so hard to develop a new, good habit, like meditating or running or eating fruit every day?
3. Why is it so damn easy to fall back into bad habits, like biting my nails or eating Ben & Jerry's late at night? The whole damn pint??
4. Why is finishing a dissertation so incredibly overwhelming?
5. Why am I too short for "tall" sizes and too tall for "regular" sizes?
6. How come I have so little hair on my lower legs and so damn much everywhere else?
7. Why didn't Community College X at least grant me an initial interview?
8. Why did I figure out my career direction so late in the degree program?
9. Why are people so rude/mean/racist/sexist/condescending/pompous/__________?
10. Why am I having such a hard time getting through to the students in my writing class this semester?

That's enough for now.

4 comments:

Dr. Write said...

I don't know about the rest, but as far as number 10 goes I think the answer is "because they're stupid." Or "because they don't care." This is what I tell myself when I am having small in-my-head rant sessions. Either that or they're tired.
(btw, I don't really think they're stupid. In fact at this point in the semester, it's only the smarter ones who are still around).
And as far as not getting an interview at the CC, see Confessions of a CC Dean's post called "Overqualified."

aMom2E said...

I am new to your blog, but what kind of writing class do you teach? What are you getting your phd in? What is your dissertation about?

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions...

I teach intro to journalism writing, study political communication, and am writing my diss on political ads and young voters in the 06 midterms.

I hope my willingness to share will put you at ease to share with me... I am just curious.

aerobil said...

but darling, none of these are actually complaints. No more framing them as questions. How about "I hate it when...." or "I hate goddamn sonsabitches who..." Be a tougher complainer, my friend.

susansinclair said...

Yeah, I know--the GF mentioned that, too. How about, "Sure, I may be overqualified, dammit, but my work with students is *known* here and you're stupid for not interviewing me!" Does that count?