Friday, September 15, 2006

Quotation Memification

From Culture Cat (who got it from...who got it from...) via Native Speaker:

"Go here and look through random quotes until you find 5 that you think reflect who you are or what you believe."

Quotation the First (with apologies to my therapist)
We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680)

Quotation the Second, Because it Justifies my Sometime Pollyannaishness
Retribution often means that we eventually do to ourselves what we have done unto others.
Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Quotation the Third, to Help Me Put My Dissertation In Perspective
If I make a record I love, then somebody will like it. Maybe not everybody, but that won't matter.
Norah Jones, O Magazine, July 2003

Quotation the Fourth, for Everyone Who's Ever Had to Listen to Me Say, "I heard on NPR this morning..."
She had a pretty gift for quotation, which is a serviceable substitute for wit.
W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965)

Quotation the Fifth, as I Seek Enlightenment
People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar.
Thich Nhat Hanh

1 comment:

aerobil said...

Um, yeah, Quotation the Fifth. Indeed. And indubitably.