Thursday, September 07, 2006

Quiche

So I was asked for "my" quiche recipe, and since I took the time to type it up, I thought I'd post it here.

Swiss Cheese and Mushroom Quiche
Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen (1977, p. 111)

As adapted by Susan Adams
with help from Jen Craft

One hour to prepare / 4-6 servings
This recipe makes one 9-inch pie.

Follow pie crust recipe for Spinach-Ricotta pie, or your own favorite for a single crust. [NOTE: A friend taught me to saute a 1/2 or so pound of sliced mushrooms with some onions, and then crumble up some crackers, and press that into the bottom of the pan for a quick and easy crust.]

Cover bottom of crust with 1 1/2 cups grated Swiss (Gruyere is best)

Cover cheese with: 1 medium onion and 1/4 lb (chop them, then saute in butter with salt, pepper, dash of thyrme) [NOTE: If I'm using the mushroom crust, I usually skip this]

Make a custard: beat well together
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard [I never seem to have this, so I just toss in a teaspoon or so of prepared mustard]

Pour custard over mushroom layer.

Sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 375 degrees 40 to 45 minutes, or until solid in the center when jiggled.

Variations:
* substitute cheddar cheese for swiss
* use fresh tomato slices instead of mushrooms. (Tomatoes don't need to be sauteed first.) [NOTE: I usually float tomato slices on top, because it's pretty]
* substitute 1 cup chopped scallions for the onion
* add 1 tsp prepared horseradish

[Other suggestions: toss in some sauteed chopped broccoli, or some broccoli florets from the freezer. Try chopped asparagus, or spinach--also good used straight from the freezer. If you like ham or bacon, they can make a nice addition, too.]

No comments: