Thursday, July 06, 2006

The Good, the Bad, and the Lazy

Okay, I know it's not laziness that causes me to stay in bed for hours on end: it's depression. But still, this refusal to face reality is frustrating. I want to be the sort of person who just sucks it up and moves on. Someone with self discipline to match her ambition. Someone who doesn't tell herself to get up, already, and then rolls over and dozes off for another 20 minutes.

It doesn't help that I was actually awake and up and about at 7am (never mind why), and then went back to bed. Argh.

In good news: once I was at the dissertators' group, with my writing and only my writing on the agenda (thanks, Jen!), I received lots of excellent and supportive feedback. The short version: I'm on the right track. Keep going. You can do it. Go, go, go! Plus my advisor is back, and we have a meeting scheduled for Monday, and that can only help.

And I've come to an important decision: I'm going to find myself a life coach. Clearly, I need to make some major changes in my life--practical changes in my work habits and how I approach challenges. Reading self-help books hasn't worked for the first 35 years (I started self-improvement projects at an early age, including various attempts at behavior modification), so it's time to bring in an expert.

For the moment, let me list my achievements for the day, which aren't bad considering my late start (listed in no particular order):
1. Met with dissertators' group and took good notes on feedback.
2. Planned Monday meeting with advisor as well as Friday morning writng appointment with Writing Buddy.
3. Cleaned litter box.
4. Emptied diswasher.
5. Cleaned kitchen.
6. Cleaned bathroom, including hanging new shower curtain liner. (Mmmmm, vinyl.)
7. Handwrote several pages for Chapter Five.
8. Walked dog. Three times.
9. Handwashed delicates.

No comments: