Saturday, July 01, 2006

ch-ch-ch-changes

Here's something to avoid: re-reading old diaries. Resist the urge. You will a) be depressed at how little you've changed and b) be depressed at how obvious the warning signs are about everything that will go wrong in the coming months and years.

Or maybe that's just me.

Now, I have changed quite a bit, to be fair. I'm not nearly as depressed as I used to be--years of medication and counseling have made me more resilient, better able to draw on my coping resources, including good friends.

Tomorrow's advice: do not save cards given to you by your partner/lover/spouse. Just don't. At some point you'll either a) have a massive pile of cards that say little about your lives together, and/or b) have to throw them out, and will be tempted to--yes, you guessed it--read them.

3 comments:

aerobil said...

Um, yeah to all of the above. Summer seems to bring all that nostalgia out in me. ugh.

Anonymous said...

I have recently been reading a journal I kept during a year I spent in France almost three decades ago. I agree that some things stay the same, but the perspective is valuable, and I really don't think it's a bad idea to hold on to things, unless, of course, it's just too painful.

Paul

Anonymous said...

And note to Significant Others...if you MUST keep those things, put them away where the Current Love doesn't stumble across them. Trust me on this. And no, I wasn't looking for them, I was helping him move and had to pack up stuff.