Monday, April 28, 2008

And it's only 11:30!

Just finished reading the last of my stack of 65 argument essays. And let me just say, my strategy of sprinkling the likely A papers throughout paid off again. Because I was getting pretty cranky for a while there.

Repeat after me: "It is not your job to convert students. They don't have to buy into your worldview, in which thoughtful analysis and rhetorically sensitive prose leads to fame and fortune and personal satisfaction beyond compare. Just give 'em a grade, make a few suggestions for improving the essay should they choose to rewrite, and hand 'em back."

Whew! Okay, off to bed to get a few hours sleep before heading south. At least I already packed my lunch!

P.S.--how many of you buy junk food as a reward when grading?

4 comments:

tyra said...

i buy manga or other junk-literature. it's kinda like junk food. well. okay, a lot. :)

aerobil said...

I like small candies to eat while I'm grading--m&ms, jelly beans, that kinda thing.

Dr Write said...

yes. and also treat drinks aka Iced mochas, which make the world a much better place!!

susansinclair said...

Absolutely! Grading at Barnes & Noble, so I can have an iced mocha and read trashy magazines in between stacks...