From Schenectady Synechdoche, who gakked it from Tamika, who got it from soon-to-be-Dr. Mon...This is my life. This is my life on blogs. Any questions?
20 years ago I . . .
1. was graduating from Whitman College with a BA in Dramatic Art (with honors)
2. worked half-time at the college library and half time for Bennett Printing
3. was living with Sh'har B'har in Walla Walla, Washington
10 years ago I . . .
1. had been working for the Bellingham Public Library for six years
2. was publishing a lesbian newsletter and active in gay civil rights
3. was living with Ms J in Ferndale, Washington
5 years ago I . . .
1. was in my first year of PhD work and spending lots of time with new classmates like aerobil
2. was dividing my time between an apartment in Syracuse and Ms J & my home in Vestal
3. was mourning the loss of my mother from the year before
3 years ago I . . .
1. was completing my doctoral exams (with distinction, thank you)
2. was preparing to teaching a summer online course
3. was celebrating the birth of Little Miss J, who turns three tomorrow!
1 year ago I . . .
1. was exhausted by the job search and accepting a position at Big City U
2. was overwhelmed by teaching, job hunting AND working on the diss
3. was contemplating a move to The Big City
So far this year I . . .
1. have begun the path to singlehood--something I've spent little time on as a grown up
2. have faced the realities of the 4/4 load and writing, and it ain't pretty
3. have discovered that I have amazing and supportive friends and family
Yesterday I . . .
1. ate a bowl of chicken noodle soup at a teahouse/gelateria (yum!)
2. enjoyed the last regular session of linguistics (great class)
3. saw the doctor about (no doubt stress-related) heartburn
Today I . . .
1. gave a pep talk to some basic writing students who will take the Big Test next week
2. saw my therapist
3. bought some nice lightweight ankle socks
Tomorrow I will . . .
1. get a moving estimate
2. get a pedicure
3. respond via email to some student papers
In the next year I will . . .
1. go to my twenty-year college reunion
2. create a fabulous apartment in Syracuse to revel in my singlehood
3. defend my diss, find the perfect tenure-track job, and begin the adventure all over again