Thursday, March 02, 2006

Soft and green

Ms. Thinkery (nee Arete) posted this lovely image of a fiddlehead fern, which got me thinking about a poem by Raymond Carver from his volume At Night the Salmon Move:

Beginnings
Once
there was a plumb-line
sunk deep into the floor
of a spruce valley
nr. Snohomish
in the Cascades
that passed under
Mt. Rainer, Mt. Hood,
and the Columbia River
and came up
somewhere
in the Oregon rainforest
wearing
a fern leaf.

And it got me thinking about the Pacific Northwest landscape he and I both admire(d). In particular, the rich greens transport me to the Hoh Rain Forest on the Olympic Peninsula, where my family often spent vacations. The mosses hang thick from the trees, and cushion the ground beneath them like an inviting daybed, calling you to rest amid the green, green, green.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great poem! And your woodsy thoughts have got me thinking about Muir Woods. I've always wished I could build myself a little Pooh house there.

BTW, I left you a comment yesterday, but it looks like blogger ate it. So here it is again:

Happy Boitday! It makes sense that yours is six days before mine.